Holistic wellness is not just about physical health, but emotional and mental health as well. It’s no secret that in today’s day and age it can be difficult to achieve wellness in all three areas, but it is important to try for the sake of our overall wellbeing. Today we will focus on 5 tips for achieving mental health wellness.
Schedule time for yourself
The first tip is to schedule time for yourself. This may seem like a no-brainer, but in our fast-paced society, it can be easy to forget to make time for ourselves. Whether it’s setting aside thirty minutes each day to read or taking yourself on a weekend getaway, it’s important that you do something that makes you happy and helps you relax.
MedlinePlus suggests practicing gratitude: “…which means being thankful for the good things in your life. It’s helpful to do this every day, either by thinking about what you are grateful for or writing it down in a journal. These can be big things, such as the support you have from loved ones, or little things, such as enjoying a nice meal.”
Creative ideas in scheduling time for yourself to achieve mental health wellness:
- Take yourself on a mental health day and do something that makes you happy
- Set aside thirty minutes each day to read, meditate, or take a relaxing bath
- Invest in a monthly massage or spa day
- Check an item off your to-do list to get organized or avoid procrastination to prevent feeling overwhelmed
Talk to someone
The second tip is to talk to someone. This could be a therapist, a friend, or even a family member. It’s important to have somebody to talk to who will understand and support you. Talking about our mental health can be difficult, but it is crucial in order to maintain our mental well-being.
Suggestions for talking to someone to achieve mental health wellness:
- Make an appointment with a therapist or counselor
- Talk to a friend or family member who you can trust
- Join a support group for people with similar mental health issues
Take care of your body
The third tip is to take care of your body. This includes getting enough sleep, eating a balanced diet, and exercising. When we take care of our bodies, it helps to improve our mental health. Many people confuse excessive working out as taking care of your body but rest is equally important. Too much of anything is never a good thing.
How to take care of your body to achieve mental health wellness:
- Get at least eight hours of sleep every night
- Eat a balanced diet that includes fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean protein
- According to Psychology Today, aim for thirty minutes of exercise most days of the week
- Avoid drugs and excessive alcohol
Make time for your hobbies
The fourth tip is to make time for your hobbies. This is important because it allows you to de-stress and do something that you enjoy. When we have hobbies, it gives us something to look forward to and helps to improve our mental health. This can look like setting aside pre-planned time throughout your work to participate in your hobbies.
How to make time for your hobbies to achieve mental health wellness:
- Set aside thirty minutes each day to work on your hobby
- Invest in a monthly class or workshop to help you learn more about your hobby
- Make time for your hobbies on the weekends
Be mindful of your thoughts
The fifth and final tip is to be mindful of your thoughts. This means being aware of the negative self-talk that we often have running through our minds. It can be easy to get caught up in thinking negatively about ourselves, but it is important to try and be positive. When we are mindful of our thoughts, it helps to improve our mental health.
How to be mindful of your thoughts to achieve mental health wellness:
- Become aware of when you are thinking negatively about yourself
- Challenge those negative thoughts by asking yourself if they are really true
- Focus on thinking positively about yourself and your accomplishments
Summary – Achieving Mental Health Wellness: 5 Tips For A Better You
These are just a few tips that can help you achieve mental health wellness. It is important to remember that mental health is a journey and it’s different for everybody. Just as physical fitness takes time, mental fitness takes time as well. Be patient with yourself and be willing to put in the work and you will see results. mental health wellness.
Have you tried any of these tips? What do you find most helpful?
Don’t forget to subscribe to receive everything Whispering in Wonderland right to your email! I’ll even send you a free clarity-gaining, goal-setting workbook!